After the bunch of stuff I baked in December, I was under a "not-keen" status for a long time from baking. But Mr.S loves "sugar" and kept telling me that he missed the sweet baked stuff [he still has no idea what goes into making them or their eclectic names]. I don't mind it either because after 30 years I still can't figure out the different automobiles or precisely cars. They all fall under 4 wheeler or 2 wheeler category. I don't exercise any more brain power for storing the "finer" details.
So every evening he returned home for a bowl of fruits and he would be looking into the oven, fridge and shelves for any hidden baked stuff. Yeah, am that kind who plays a lot of pranks on my spouse. Even if I bake any, I don't give it straight to him. I tell stories that either I din't make any or hide them somewhere - such antics give me a kick..hehe
At times, I even try to hide in our closet or behind furniture when he comes home. But unfortunately he doesn't have to try hard in such scenarios as my giggling gives away. Aah, yeah I still love a good game of hide n seek and age has nothing to do with it. Yup! I hold onto that idea fervently.
All this drama preceded to this Peach Tart as well. And he was filled with glee finding them. Hope you too enjoy them as much as we did.
The Tart recipe is from the lovely Blog Zoe Bakes and after many other tart recipes with Almond flour, I settled with this one as it yielded the exact taste and texture I wanted for my crust.
For Almond Tart / Shortbread crust -
* All purpose Flour - 1+ 1/4 cup
* Egg yolks - 1 nos
* Cold Butter - 9 tbsp [sliced into small cubes]
* Powdered sugar - 1/2 cup
* Almond flour - 1/4 cup
* Vanilla extract - 1 tsp
* Salt - a pinch
For Pastry Cream -
* Egg yolks - 4 nos
* Milk - 1 + 1/4 cups
* Vanilla Extract - 1 tsp
* Sugar - 1/4 cup [Increase / Decrease according to your interest]
* Corn Flour - 2 tbsp [sifted]
* Brandy - 1 tsp [Optional]
For Assembling -
* Sliced Peaches - 18-20 slices [I used canned ones]
For Almond Tart -
1. Sift the All purpose flour, Almond flour and salt. Keep aside. Preheat the Oven to 325 Degree Fahrenheit and grease generously either a 9 inch Tart pan or small individual Tart pans with Butter.
2. In a food-processor or using a hand mixer with hooks for kneading dough, add the cold Butter cubes, Egg yolks, powdered Sugar and Vanilla Extract. Beat them for a minute to mix them well.
3. Add the sifted flour mixture into the beaten Butter mixture. Pulse them for 1-2 mins until the dough starts coming together. Remove from the processor onto a large bowl. Knead them with hand to form a uniform ball of dough.
4. Press the dough onto the greased Tart pans and place them in the oven for about 30-40 mins. Once they become light golden brown in color, remove from Oven and let it cool down to room temperature.
Note - Smaller Tart pans take lesser time for baking.
For Pastry Cream -
1. In a bowl, beat the Egg yolks, milk, sugar, brandy, sifted Corn flour and vanilla extract with a whisk in order to incorporate the ingredients.
2. Place the Egg mixture on a Double boiler and keep whisking until it starts thickening. Once it thickens into a custard like texture, remove from the Double boiler. Let it cool down.
3. Pour the Pastry Cream onto the cooled Tart base and let it rest.
For Assembling -
1. Assemble the Peach slices on the Pastry Cream and refrigerate for at least 30 mins, in order to aid it to set.
Before serving, sprinkle powdered sugar over the tart or drizzle melted white Chocolate. I opted out as I prefer moderate sugar for Desserts and had them as it is without any further ado. Or may be we were too impatient to have them :)